Home About Me Art Language Math My Store TeachersPayTeachers Pinterest Instagram BlogLovin Email Image Map

January 28, 2016

How to Draw The Scream

I often find it difficult to find videos to use as part of my art program. Sure, there are tv shows for younger kids that teach you how to make crafts and there are documentaries for adults on the history of art and culture, but I am constantly trying to find age appropriate videos for my older students that discuss famous artists and art styles in an interesting and entertaining way.

So, you can imagine how excited I was to discover the Artrageous with Nate video series, created by art educator Nate Heck. I like to describe this guy as the "Bill Nye of the Art World," which is a huge compliment because my students LOVE Bill Nye.

I love what Nate Heck is doing with these videos. He teaches kids about art in a fun and intelligent way, and I can tell you that even the kids that don't think they like art will enjoy these episodes.

There are a variety of episodes to choose from (although not nearly enough for me...I need more!) and some focus on famous artists like Jackson Pollock, Georges Seurat, and Edvard Munch, while others focus on local artists. Nate Heck has also recently partnered with PBS and new videos are coming out every few weeks (yay!).

My class recently watched this video about Edvard's Munch's The Scream...


...and then created their own pastel drawings of the painting. I think they turned out pretty well!




This is one of only many art lessons you can do with these videos. Make sure you check them out!

1 comment:

  1. I will definitely check this out and pass the information along to library clients. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete